Bugs and Issues

Tuesday, July 24, 2012

2.0 Crash Problem:  Version 2.0.1 has been released to address crash issues introduced in 2.0.  If you are experiencing crashes  please download the new version 2.0.1

While every attempt has been made to ensure Stats Pad is free of bugs or errors, there may still be issues requiring attention.  If you run across a bug or issue, please describe the details as a comment to this post.

For help on how to use Stats Pad, visit the Tutorials Page

or download the User Manual (edition 2.0).

64 Comments

1. Just purchased. Using iPad Air. Want a two factor ANOVA 2 X 2…it just says insufficient data. Have reviewed tutorial..have tried to enter more data to create 2 X 3. Always, “insufficient data”? Any ideas for trouble-shooting? Seems fine with other ANOVAs. Also, can it handle un-equal ns?

Hi Gary,
      If you want to analyze a two way ANOVA with only 2×2 data (4 data points total?) there are no replicates to enable a true full analysis with interaction (each row factor and column factor combination only has one data point). You can analyze a 2×2 like this using a Random Blocking ANOVA which is also known as Two Factor Without Replication. The Random Blocking ANOVA will give main factor effects but not test interaction. For the Random Blocking ANOVA the row factor and column factor combinations have only one data point.

For a Two Way ANOVA there will need to be more than one data point per row/column factor combination. You can indicate the number of replicates in the “rows per sample” field.

Currently the Two Way ANOVA does not handle unequal sample sizes, but this may be added in the future.

2. Ken vencile says:

Hi,
    Really starting to play with this app in ap biology. Is there a way plot multiple series on the same line graph.

Thanks,
    Ken

Hi Ken,

That isn’t available at this time, but I’ll put that on the feature request list as it is a good addition to include.

Jon

3. Mark says:

Jon:

Great app! We are about to use it again this spring in an Introductory Statistics course (total enrollment of 130). In using it to teach statistics, I have, of course, several requests. These are all coming from using it for a semester every day in class.

1. Binomial distribution – for a given n and p, add an option to display the entire distribution and cumulative distribution

2. Compute mean and sd for grouped data – for a frequency or relative frequency distribution, sample or population

3. Descriptive statistics – give an option to indicate whether the data set represents a sample or a population, or simply give both SD’s, as the TI-83/84 does

4. When computing descriptive statistics on more than one variable at a time, the TOTAL column is often meaningless (for instance, if the columns represent weight and height). Is there a compelling reason to include it? Or include it as an option?

5. In creating graphs, add an option to indicate whether the first row contains labels or not, as in the Analyses section. Selecting the entire column and then backing off the first row can be problematic on an iPad Mini

6. If doing Simple Linear Regression, add the correlation coefficient. I realize that the “Multiple R” is the absolute value of r for simple regression, and that the sign can be determined from the slope of the equation, but that is a long explanation to students struggling with these concepts anyway.

Hi Mark,

Thanks for the feedback on how to improve the app. I’ll try to work these into the next revision. I’m targeting about 4 weeks for the next revision to come out though I can’t guarantee a date.

Let me know if you have any other questions or suggestions in the mean time.

4. D. Evans says:

Hello,
    I am using Statspad LE on my Ipad. Has anyone experienced problems using the Mann Whitney U test?
    When i press calculate the program crashes and I am
    back on my home page.
    Thanks,
    Dallas

Hi Dallas,
      I am able to reproduce your crash. This must be a bug that the recent iOS upgrade produced.
      I will submit a fix over the weekend and it should be approved sometime next week. Unfortunately the LE version usually takes Apple longer to approve. I’ve never figured out why since they are basically the same code.

5. Daniel says:

Hi,
    Just trying to copy graphs into pages, a word processor, and it comes up as a black square. It does sort of appear to be working as you can make out the top half of the number at the top of the graph but that is it. Problem occurred with both box and scatter plot.

Hi Daniel,
      I’ve been trying to recreate the issue you describe but can’t yet.
      Can you let me know the exact steps you follow to create the issue? If you send the page as an email attachment do you also see the same issue?
      Are you using Stats Pad LE or Stats Pad? And what version? I will get right on this once I can recreate the problem.

1. Daniel says:

Hi Jon,
        The process I used was to generate the graph (which worked without a problem) then copy, double click home button, select word processor (pages) and then paste all that appears is a large black box (although labels menu appears and is as it appears in stats).
        Thanks
        Daniel (once again I really like this program)

1. Daniel says:

Sorry, also it was stat pad le.

1. Jon says:

Ah, Stats Pad LE has just gone through an upgrade that I believe will fix the issue. Can you check that you have 2.0.1 and then verify if the issue still persists? I changed the method of moving items to the pasteboard for copy/paste which is more friendly with other apps.

6. Daniel says:

Hi,
    Love the app but having issues with Mann Whitney. Just experimenting with random sets of numbers but when I go to calculate the program crashes.

Hi Daniel,
      I’ve submitted a fix in 2.0.1 to fix this issue. It should be out in a few days. Sorry for the problems.

1. Daniel says:

Hi Jon,
        It works brilliantly.
        Thanks
        Daniel

7. Mark says:

Most of the analysis screens have an option to select whether the first row/col contains labels or not, but the various graphing dialog screens do not give this option. It is very difficult, at least on an iPad mini, to select a column without including the header if the data set is large. Adding this option to the graph screens would be a big help.

Thanks!

Hi Mark,

I will look into adding the “labels” feature for the graphing dialogues.
      In the mean time one method is to choose the entire column for the large data set by tapping the column header, and then modifying the selection by drag the top of the selection down one row so the label is not in the selection anymore.

8. Mark says:

I am having an issue with observations being dropped in a histogram. I have a dataset with 54 values (I can send it if you want). When I create a histogram, the frequencies of the classes add up to 54. However, when I change the starting point and class width, the frequencies sum to only 53. The largest value, which should be in the last class with a frequency of 1, is missing.

This is on an iPad mini, iOS 6.1.3, Stats Pad version 1.8.3.

1. Jon says:

Thanks Mark. I’ve fixed the bug and will submit this weekend for Apple approval. Should be available to download in a week.
      (we’ve already corresponded but wanted to reply on the discussion board for others to see).

9. Vincent says:

Hi Jon,

I am very willing to buy in-app purchases for additional tests for stats pad LE.

Can you add these tests maybe?

Shapiro-wilk for normality
    Bartletts test for homogeneity

Multiple comparisons test

Scheffe
    Tukey HSD
    Tukey Kramer
    Fisher-hayter
    Sidak

Hi Vincent,

I will add this to the list of future tests to add as well. I can’t promise a schedule, but get to them eventually.

10. Vince says:

Can you add on sample size computation where you input Mu and mean, sd, power , alpha and if one sided or two sided alternatives.? Thank you

1. Jon says:

Vince, I will put this on my list of features to add. Thank you for the feedback!

11. Susan says:

I teach a high school statistics class, and so far it looks like this app has all that I need for my class — except the descriptive statistics needs to include both sample standard deviation and population standard deviation. Any possibility that could be added

Hi Susan,
      I’ll put that on my list of things to add to that output.
      In the mean time a workaround is to do a covariance matrix. The elements along the diagonal of a covariance matrix are the standard variance.
      The covariance matrix has the option to calculate assuming the data is a sample or the entire population.

Thanks for the comment and keep an eye out for the next update where I’ll try to include the population variance.

12. Bryant says:

Hi Jon,

How do you calculate for 2 Anova? I’m having difficulties understanding. I went thru your tutorial videos but to no avail

Hi Bryant,
      I’ll be adding tutorials for individual tests soon. Until then the 2-Factor ANOVA works exactly like in Excel.
      In the below image I’ve created a data set for a two factor ANOVA with Factor A having 3 levels (A1, A2, A3) and Factor B having 3 levels (B1, B2, B3).
      There are 3 replications per combination of Factor A and Factor B so in the analysis section I’ve set Rows per sample to 3.

In the output you will get F-Tests for Factor A, Factor B, and Interaction. The data set I have has interaction so the F-Test will reject the null hypothesis and conclude there is Interaction

13. Hinrich says:

Hi Jon,
    I just bought the full version (1.8.1) of Stats Pad and try my first steps on my iPad3 as well as on my iPhone5. While it is possible for me to create a new file on my iPad (+ button in Files menu), I fail on my iPhone: instead of the + button there is only a Data-button which switches back to the data table. Any suggestions?
    Hinrich Nagel, Germany

1. Jon says:

I have just submitted version 1.8.2 which should be released in a few days that will bring the + button back to the iPhone.
      Sorry for the inconvenience.

2. Hinrich says:

Hi Jon,
      Thanks a lot for the quick response, I look forward to the new version.
      I have another issue: It would be very helpful, if you could add a reference in the table of the calculated results, which stated out the cells on which the calculation is performed. By this it would be very easy to distinguisch several calculations of different data selections.
      And at the end one big ambition: Please add icloud-support.
      Hinrich

14. Format cell function says:

I posted a numeric in a cell, but sometime app recognize it is a character.
    That problem is same with an import excel file.
    Pls, help me

This was an inadvertent bug introduced in 1.8.1
      1.8.2 has been submitted to correct this issue and should be released in a few days.

15. Linus says:

Hi there,

I’m having trouble with creating box plots when series differ in length. It says that “Selection contains non-numeric data. Cannot create graph.” Obviously empty cells count as non-numeric but I don’t see how multiple series could be added other than selecting them all at once. Now what?

Best,
    Linus

Hi Linus,

You are correct. For this version box plots with multiple samples need to have the same sample size. I will put handling different sample sizes on the development list and try to have it on the next release.

1. Jon says:

Stats Pad can now handle varying sample sizes for box plots.

16. Jim Palfreyman says:

Found another crash.

Under analysis->power choose in order:
    100
    .05
    T dist on
    U<hyp

And press create power curve

The app crashes fully.

Jim

1. Jon says:

I’m not able to reproduce this one Jim. I will dig in and see if I can find a combination that causes a similar crash.

2. Jon says:

Hi Jim,
      I believe I’ve tracked down the issue here as well as in your previous post about function fit. Both issues have been fixed. I’ve submitted version 1.7.1 to apple and it should be released in 3 to 5 days. Thanks for bringing this to my attention!

17. Jim Palfreyman says:

Love the latest features! Thanks!

Found a repeatable bug. If you have (0,0) as a data point, exponential or log regression (either under analysis or in the graph) causes a fatal crash.

Jim

1. Jon says:

Thanks Jim, I’ll definitely patch that bug right away. Sorry about that.

2. Jon says:

See my reply to your post about Power Curve. I’ve submitted a fix for both of these and it should be released in a couple of days. Thanks for bringing them to my attention.

18. Suzanne says:

I cannot seem to get data selected for graphs. I highlight a column of values, tap X Values button, but all that shows as selected is Page 1: R1C1:R1C1, regardless of what cells were selected.

I am having this problem with ALL graphs – but I am not having it with any of the Analysis screens so far.

Hi Suzanne,
      We already discussed this issue via email, but wanted to approve your post so others can see it.
      From our emails following the below steps fixed the issue on your iPad for now. I realize this is still an indication of a possible bug and will keep hunting to squash the bug.
      Steps that corrected the issue:
      Close the app and make sure you close it out of the background by
      1. Exiting the app and going to the home screen.
      2. Double tap on your home button to reveal apps in the background along the bottom of your screen
      3. Touch and hold the Stats Pad app until it starts to jiggle and the red minus button appears in the upper left corner of the icon.
      4. Tap the red minus button to close the app from the background.
      Once you have done this restart the app and see if the problem still exists.

If others see this issue please post here with the Stats Pad version, the device you are running it on, and the OS version your device is running.
      Thanks,
      Jon

1. Arthur says:

I am also suffering from similar issues, but a bit different: it is often very difficult to define cell ranges for analysis & graphs. Very often the first row with cell titles is included, and I can not deselect them. Sometimes the menu (‘cut-copy-paste, etc.’) starts flickering.
        I am running Stats Pad version 1.8.2 combined with IOS 6.1.3

Hi Arther,
          I will look into improving the interface to make that easier.
          In the mean time once you have a selection made you should be able to toggle on and off the copy/cut/paste menu by tapping in the middle of the selection.
          You can resize or adjust the selection by touching and holding either the upper left corner or the lower right corner of your selected region and then dragging to the new position.

19. Jon says:

Version 1.6 has released for the full version which adds some great graphing capabilities as well as some function fits to the regression section. Version 1.6 for the LE version should release in a few days.

20. Álvaro Carcano says:

Hi, I bought the Stats Pad LE and the Analysis Options, and I wonder if have the same features as the Stats Pad version.

Thanks in advance.

1. Jon says:

Stats Pad is the same application as Stats Pad LE but with all of the analysis options enabled (all of the packages “purchased”). Buying the “Full Version” in-app purchase in Stats Pad LE is the same as buying Stats Pad.

21. Dave Nicholls says:

Hi,

I accidentally ran into an odd issue. If you select a data range of 3 or more entries where all values are the same (e.g. 1, 1, 1) and then request Descriptive Statistics the app crashes back to the home screen.

Not likely to be an real world issue, but still needs fixing.

Cheers

Dave

1. Jon says:

Thanks Dave, I will definitely have that fixed in the next release.

1. Dave Nicholls says:

Great,

Thanks

Dave

22. Jim Palfreyman says:

Thanks for being so responsive!

Now I’ve played some more I have some more questions/suggestions:

How do I read the contents of a cell where the data is longer than the width?

An option where the left panel doesn’t overlap the right panel in portrait mode would be great.

Control charts!

Is there a maximum number of rows/columns I can import? Minitab was great for not having a limit. It handled millions of rows without a hiccup. I’m not expecting that for an ipad – but it sure would be great!

Can we change cell width at all?

A plain english tutorial (written and/or video) on each stats test would be great. Explain what the test does and how to use it. Fantastic for the statistically challenged out there.

I did get a crash deleting a page.

Regards,

Jim

Hi Jim,
      There is no set maximum number of rows/columns. The only limit is memory. I haven’t personally run into that limit yet, but I’m waiting for someone to comment that they have.
      I have opened several hundred rows, but not thousands yet.

I am in the process of getting individual tutorials set up and am coordinating them with my own general statistics tutorial blogs. It will be a few weeks before they are up.

Resizing columns is on my todo list but not yet implemented.

On the portrait mode, I’m using a standard iOS splitview controller. The other option would be to develop my own controller that behaves differently. Having them not overlap would work but that means I would need to move an equal portion off of the screen on the right side to make room for the left panel. I’ll contemplate this, but can’t promise anything.

I’ll add control charts to the wish list.

23. Jim Palfreyman says:

Hi,

This is an App I could get to like. Could you put in non linear regression (polynomials, powers etc) I’m sure you know the drill.

Normal distribution with upper and lower bound, mean and sd would be great (I.e. not just z score).

Same with binomial distribution.

I tutor at the college level and these would be great.

Cheers,

Nice work so far.

Hi Jim,
      Thanks for the feedback and I will add what you’ve mentioned to my list of features to add. For the non-linear regression, I may add it in the form of adding columns as functions of other columns which can then be used for multiple regression.

24. Rich says:

In regression , I frequently interchange response and predictor. Maybe include in description which data is being interpreted as response. After a while one gets used to the program, but once in a while do forget. Thanks for your consideration. Rich

Hi Rich,
      I think I addressed this in the release that is coming up. I have one button labeled “Y Data” and the other labeled “X Data” (I chose those descriptions to keep the text short as the buttons become smaller in the new version). Let me know if that is what you mean.

25. Rich says:

Any chance of portraying very small p-value in a way other than 0 with no decimal points? Perhaps indicating less than .00001? (color, or <, or *, …). Or put a note visibly indicating what 0 means. I get concerned when I see 0, like I didn't input something correctly.

Thanks for your consideration. Rich

1. Jon says:

Hi Rich, That is a very good suggestion that I hadn’t thought of. I will add it and try very hard to get it in the next release. I just submitted 1.4 today, so it will have to wait for 1.5

1. Rich says:

If I see a p-value of 0 in a test’s output, I can assume it’s less than 1*10^(-6)? I think I have seen that value displayed.

1. Jon says:

Yes it should be much much smaller than 1×10^(-6).

26. Rich says:

The description of F-test for 2 variances needs attention?

1. Jon says:

Good catch on the F-test description. I will fix it right away!